Overnight Summary: S&P 500 Futures fell until 3:35 this morning when they hit 4240. Since then futures have rise to 4285 but are still down -42.25 points or -0.98%. Both Asia and Europe are lower.
Earnings Out After The Close:
- Beats: None of note.
- Flat: None of note.
- Misses: BLUE (0.38).
- IPOs Priced or News: None of note.
- New SPACs launched/News: None of note.
- Secondaries Priced: None of note.
- Notes Priced of note: None of note.
- Common Stock filings/Notes:
- NLSP: Filed Form 424B5.. Up to $3,900,000 Common Shares.
- Pricing of Over-Allotment: None of note.
- Direct Offering: None of note.
- Selling Shareholders of note:
- ESS Inc. (GWH) files for 130,044,756 share common stock offering by selling shareholders.
- Veris Residential (VRE) files for 773,931 share common stock offering by selling shareholders.
- Private Placement of Public Entity (PIPE): None of note.
- Mixed Shelf Offerings:
- Eos Energy (EOSE) files for $300 million mixed securities shelf offering.
- First Business Financial (FBIZ) files for $75 million mixed securities shelf offering.
- DAC: Filed Form F-3ASR Mixed Security Shelf.
- EZGO: Filed Form F-3 .. $100 million Mixed Shelf.
- GLYC: Filed Form S-3.. $250 million Mixed Security Shelf.
- JPM: Filed Form S-3.. $150 billion Mixed Shelf Registration.
- NREF: Filed Form S-3.. $500 million Mixed Security Shelf.
- ROKU: Filed Form S-3ASR.. Mixed Shelf Offering.
- RWT: Filed Form S-3ASR.. Mixed Shelf Offering.
- TPIC: Filed Form S-3 .. $200,000,000 Mixed Security Shelf .. Up to 4,666,667 Shares of Common Stock .
- Convertible Offering & Notes Filed:
- Acer Therapeutics (ACER) Secures up to $48.5 Million in Convertible Note and Secured Loan Financing Facilities.
Capital Raise Summary From The TradeXchange, bringing traders and investors real time news and Squawk Box, and other sources.
News After The Close and Over the Week:
- Weekly Wrap Up: Best and Worst performing large cap stocks:
- Trading Up: KLXE 66%, BTU 66%, NINE 58%, OXY 44%, REGI 39%, IPI 34%, FHN 30%, HMY 29%, ARCH 28%, CENX 28%, KR 26%, RIG 25%, KOS 25%, RYTM 25%, SXC 24%, PDCE 24%, RETA 22%, MRCY 22%, SM 22%.
- Trading Down: EPAM -48%, KPTI -43%, AMBA -37%, AUPH -34%, ATRA -34%, NTLA -32%, CVNA -32%, HRTX -30%, FTCH -30%, ENDP -29%, GSHD -27%, DB -27%, GRPN -26%, ANF -26%, EHTH -26%, LXRX -25%, ING -25%.
- News Items After the Close:
- Treasury Department assures Wall Street it can still trade Russian oil and gas — CNBC
- Russia stock ETFs trading in U.S. plunge this week with some halted for trading – RSX, FLRU, ERUS, RUSL (CNBC)
- We Work (WE) Explores Fresh Equity Raise Amid Stock Slump (Bloomberg)
- Average national gasoline price surges to $3.83 a gallon, the highest since 2012 (CNBC)
- Lockheed Martin (LMT) wins a $869 million contract modification to a previously awarded US Navy contract.
- News Items Over the Weekend:
- Stocks That Defined the Week: AAPL, XOM, RIVN, ZM, KR, BBY, SG. (WSJ)
- The Week in Business: Guns vs. Economic Sanctions. (NYT)
- Why Does the U.S. Buy Russian Oil? (WSJ)
- Mastercard (MA) Statement on Suspension of Russian Operations. (NYT)
- Visa (V) suspends all operations in Russia.
- PayPal (PYPL) suspends its services in Russia over Ukraine war (CNBC)
- Chewy (CHWY) Co-Founder Ryan Cohen Takes Large Stake in Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY), Pushes for Changes (WSJ)
- Oasis (OAS), Whiting (WLL) Near All-Stock Merger (WSJ)
- Positive View: FL, WZZAF, HPQ, PSTG, AVGO, CRM, WDAY, BOX, SNOW, EQT, CHK, CTRA, AR, RRC, SWN, TRMLF.
- Negative View: None of note.
- Mixed View: None of note.
- Exchange/Listing/Company Reorg and Personnel News:
- Market Vectors Russia: Trading halted for RSX and RSXJ ETFs
- SP Index Changes:
- Charles Schwab (SCHW) will replace Biogen (BIIB) in the S&P 100.
- BellRing Brands (BRBR) will replace Cerence (CRNC) in the S&P MidCap 400.
- Cerence (CRNC) will replace Cooper-Standard (CPS) in the S&P SmallCap 600.
- Array Technologies, Inc. (ARRY) Receives Notification from Nasdaq Related to Delayed Annual Report on Form 10-K
- Americold Realty Trust (COLD) COO Carlos Rodriguez to step down; co eliminates COO position.
- Brighthouse Financial (BHF) Conor Murphy, Chief Operating Officer, will be stepping down on March 18.
- Liquid Media Group, Ltd. (YVR) Receives Nasdaq Notice of Deficiency Regarding Minimum Bid Price Requirement and Provides Update on 2021 Audit Filing.
- Turning Point Therapeutics (TPTX) discloses that Chief Scientific Officer Siegfried Reich, Ph.D. notified company of his intention to resign.
- View, Inc. (VIEW) Receives Notification of Additional Deficiency from Nasdaq Related to Delayed Filing of Annual Report on Form 10-K.
- Ventas, Inc. (VTR) announced it has appointed Michael J. Embler, former CIO of Franklin Mutual Advisors, to its Board of Directors.
- Buyback Announcements:
- First Business Bank (FBIZ) Announces $5.0 Million Buyback Program.
- GMED authorizing the repurchase of an additional $200 million of the Company’s common stock.
- Silgan (SLGN) Announces Authorization for Stock Repurchases up to $300 million.
- Stock Splits: None of note.
- Dividends Announcements: None of note.
What’s Happening This Morning: Futures value reflects the change with fair value.
S&P 500 -35, Dow Jones -291, NASDAQ -124, and Russell 2000 -10. Asia and Europe lower. VIX Futures are at 32.24 from 31.85 Friday morning. Gold, Silver and Copper higher. WTI Crude Oil and Brent Oil Futures higher. Natural Gas is higher. $ is higher vs Euro, higher vs Pound and higher vs Yen. US 10 year Treasury with yields at 1.78% unchanged from Friday. Bitcoin is at $38,610.31 from $41,400 at -0.54%. As of 8:10 a.m. EST
Friday’s Action – 03/04/22 Close:
- Daily Positive Sectors: Energy, Utilities, Basic Materials of note.
- Daily Negative Sectors: Consumer Cyclical, Technology, Financial, Industrials, Consumer Defensive of note.
- One Month Winners: Energy, Utilities and Basic Materials of note.
- Three Month Winners: Energy, Utilities and Basic Materials of note.
- Six Month Winners: Energy, Basic Materials, Utilities of note.
- Twelve Month Winners: Energy, Utilities, and Real Estate of note.
- Year to Date Winners: Energy and Basic Materials of note.
Indexes all pulled back with the Russian situation controlling the news. NASDAQ pulled back 1.66%. GLD, SLV, USO, UNG all up with USO rising 6.61%. Updated 03/04/22 close.
Upcoming Earnings Of Note: (sorted by market cap, highest to lowest with most visible names)
- Monday After the Close: AVDX, TDUP, BLUE of note.
- Tuesday Before the Open: OLPX, DKS, ONON, LAC, STVN of note.
Earnings of Note This Morning:
- Beats: CIEN +0.02.
- Flat: None of note.
- Misses: SQSP (2.75).
- Still to Report: SRRK.
- Positive Guidance: None of note.
- Negative Guidance: SQSP.
Erlanger Research Advance/Decline Chart: Updated through 03/04/22 close.
Gap Ups & Down In Early Pre-Market:
- Gap Up: BBBY +61%, WEAT +13%, AU +11%, WLL +11%, VET +8%, WE +7%, GFI +7%, USO +5%, OIH +5%, VXX +5%, GOLD +4%.
- Gap Down: SQSP -14%, BLUE -11%, TPTX -9%.
Insider Action: AHCO, OEC, VFC, ALG, HSIC, OXY sees Insider buying with dumb short selling. RVMD sees Insider buying with smart short sellers. 03/04/22 close.
Rags & Mags: Repeated stories from prior days never listed, i.e. “rehashed news”.
- 5 Things To Know To Start Your Day. (Bloomberg)
- Another round of ceasefire talks between Russia and Ukraine being considered but Russians are still shelling in the safety zones. (Bloomberg)
- Ukraine denounces evacuation routes proposed by Russia as they only lead to Russia and Belarus. (Bloomberg)
- Ukraine Presidential Adviser says new talks with Russia to start at 4pm in Kyiv which is at 9:00 a.m. EST.
- Russia tells Ukraine to amend their Constitution and reject claims to enter any bloc like NATO. Also, recognize Crimea as Russian. Give up Donetsk and Lugansk as independent states. If these conditions are met, then Russian military action will “stop in a moment”. (TASS)
- 80% chance of default on Ruble-payment decree.
- Crude oil hits $130 as speculation on a ban by the U.S. on Russian oil and Iran deal delays. (Reuters)
- Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) jumps 70% after Gamestop (CME) CEO and Chewy (CHWY) founder Ryan Cohen reveals big stake, seeks changes at BBBY (also in News After Close).
- American Express (AXP) ends operations in Russia. (Bloomberg)
- Netflix (NFLX) ends operates in Russia. (Variety)
- Danone (DANOY) ends investment in Russia. (Bloomberg)
- Levi Strauss (LEVI) ends operations and investments in Russia.
- LVMH and Hermes stop sales in Russia. (NYT)
- Boeing (BA) ends relationship with a Russian titanium supplier. (WSJ)
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRKB) takes 11.2% passive stake in Occidental Petroleum (OXY).
- Teucrium Wheat (WEAT) filed on March 4th to register additional shares. If fund sells all of the current shares before registration statement is effective, the Fund will be required to close creation of shares. Effectively, tracking error may rise as well as bid/ask spreads. Be careful if trading.
Moving Average Update:
- Score quickly flat lined again at 0%. Updated 03/04/22 close.
- President’s Public Schedule:
- The President receives the President’s Daily Brief, 9:30 a.m. EST
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jen Psaki, 2:00 p.m. EST
- Investor Movement Index 12:30 p.m. EST
- Consumer Credit 3:00 p.m. EST
Federal Reserve Speakers:
- None of note.
- M&T Bank Corporation (MTB) Receives Regulatory Approval from the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System for Merger with People’s United Financial, Inc. (PBCT).
- Vectrus (VEC) to merge with Vertex. (MarketWatch)
- GoodRX (GDRX) to buy vitaCare Prescription Services from TherapeuticsMD (TXMD) for $150 million in cash.
- Whiting Petroleum (WLL) and Oasis (OAS) to merge in a merger of equals . Conference call at 8:30 a.m. EST.
Meeting & Conferences of Note:
- Sellside Conferences:
- Citi Global Property CEO Conference 2022 (03/06/22-03/09/22)
- Citi Women in Leadership
- Cowen and Co. 42nd Annual Healthcare Conference 2022 (03/07/22-03/09/22)
- CS Brazil TechFin & Telecom Conference
- DNB Energy & Shipping Conference 2022 (03/07/22-03/08/22)
- Evercore ISI Elite Energy & Materials Summit 2022 (03/07/22-03/09/22)
- GS LatAm Financials Conference
- Jefferies Paper & Packaging Summit
- JMP Securities Technology Conference 2022 (03/07/22-03/08/22)
- JP Morgan Global Emerging Markets Corporate Conference 2022 (03/07/22-03/09/22)
- JPM Large Bank Forum
- JP Morgan Gaming Lodging Restaurant & Leisure Management Access Forum 2022 (03/07/22-03/8/22)
- Morgan Stanley Technology, Media, and Telecom (TMT) Conference 2022 (03/07/22-03/10/22)
- Piper Sandler Western Financial Services Conference 2022 (03/07/22-03/08/22)
- Raymond James & Associates 43rd Annual Institutional Investors Conference 2022 (03/06/22-03/09/22)
- Stifel Streamsong Resort Executive Summit
- Previously Announced Conferences:
- Susquehanna 11th Annual Technology Conference 2022 (03/03/22-03/07/22)
- Previously Announced Conferences:
- Company Meetings: None of note.
- Fireside Chat: None of note.
- Investor/Analyst Day/Calls: BDX, IMXI, KSS.
- Update: None of note.
- R&D Day: None of note.
- Company Event: None of note.
- Industry Meetings:
- Association of Insurance and Financial Analysts (AIFA) 47th Annual Conference 2022 (03/06/22-03/08/22)
- CERAWeek 2022 (03/06/22-03/11/22)
- World Defense Show 2022 (03/06/22-03/09/22)
- Western Veterinary Annual Conference 2022 (03/06/22-03/09/22)
- Previously Posted and Ongoing Conferences:
- ESMO Targeted Anticancer Therapies Congress TAT (03/04/22-03/08/22)
- Previously Posted and Ongoing Conferences:
Top Tier Sell-side Upgrades & Downgrades:
The recommendations listed below in this “Upgrade/Downgrade” section are compiled from what we believe are Tier I, II and III firms. Recommendations posted are taken from a variety of sources each day and we only post upgrades or significant initiations as well as downgrades to underweight or sell. The purpose of this posting it to make the reader aware of market moving recommendations. None of these recommendations should be interpreted as actual recommendations from CAPIS or its employees.
Today’s Upgrades and Downgrades:
Friday’s Upgrades and Downgrades: